Friday, February 12, 2016

In 1862, Approximately 7,998 Miles From Their Homeland Three From Guam Join The Union During The Civil War.


Friday, February 12, 2016 9:51 PM
By: Tomas L.G. Benavente (CHedo)

During the course of my continued family research today I ran into something I never in my wildest dreams would have ever expected to have seen.  As I was reviewing the August 2, 1862, New Bedford Massachusetts Naval Enlistment log I ran into three unusual names of men aged from 16 to 24.

The names associated with home of record “Guam” are the third, fourth, and eighth names on the log.
What was unusual for me in running into these names on this log was that all three listed their place of birth as “Guam.”

Think about it for a second, on August 2, of 1862, the Civil War had already been ongoing for nearly a year and a half, at the time these three were enlisting in the Navy.

What brought these three young men from Guam to New Bedford Massachusetts?

I hope to find out the 5Ws (Who, What, Where, Why, & When) associated with how these men came to Massachusetts and found themselves enlisting in the Navy for the Union of a Country whose People were in the midst of a dreadful War that would eventually cost the lives of an estimated 1,264,000 million Americans.

At any rate the three young men I found were as follows:
Joseph Estredo; Age: 20; bn 1842; Birthplace: Guam; Complexion: Copper Tone
John Flores; Age: 16; bn 1846; Birthplace: Guam; Complexion: Copper Tone
Benjamin Rosario; Age: 24; bn 1838; Birthplace: Guam; Complexion: Copper Tone

With renewed enthusiasm in continuing my family research as a result of this golden find, as a relative of the Rosario family through Bruno Rosario (bn abt 1860) and of his wife Juliana Rosario Benavente (bn abt 1852), I’m hoping to one day find some (if any) connection with either Bruno or Juliana with Benjamin Rosario (bn abt 1838) who was the eldest (24 years old) of the three from Guam whom enlisted in 1862.

If I do find that connection, I will share my findings with you all and hope you will join me on the rest of my journey in finding “Our Roots.”

Saina’ Ma’åsi


No comments:

Post a Comment